Thursday, February 16, 2012

Rattle

Here is my heart shaped purple rattle. I decided to make a heart because I like hearts and I made it purple because I like the color purple. I started by making two half hearts and hollowing them both out. Once they were hollowed out, I rolled up about 50 tiny balls of clay and wrapped them in newspaper and stuck them inside the hollowed out part of the heart and then sealed the two half hearts together to make one heart. It is necessary to wrap newspaper around the balls of clay you put inside the rattle to prevent the balls of clay from sticking to the surface of the inside of your rattle. This does not mean that the newspaper will stay inside the rattle forever, it will be burned off inside the kiln. Anyway, with my rattle I used a low fire glaze. I put 2 layers of glaze on the heart. It is a fairly simple design. I am pleased with the way it turned out. When you shake it, there is a decent amount of noise from the rattle.

No comments:

Post a Comment